1. Preheat your oven to 180 degrees celcius
2. In a bowl, combine the softened butter with the chopped herbs. Zest the lemon and orange into the bowl, add the garlic and pepper, then stir to combine.
3. Place the chicken into a roasting tray. Use your hands to carefully loosen the skin from the chicken, while keeping the skin intact.
4. Take handfuls of the butter and place all over the chicken beneath the skin. Spread out until the chicken is evenly covered.
5. Chop the lemon and orange in half and place in the cavity.
6. Bake for 20-25 minutes per 500g, then remove from the oven and rest for 10 minutes before carving.
7. Serve with new potatoes, tomatoes and green salad.