- Rinse rice with cold water in a sieve. Add drained rice, water, salt and soy sauce to a small pot. Drop in the carrot and shiitake. Bring to the boil. Add a lid and reduce to a simmer for 15 minutes. Turn off the heat and leave to steam with the lid on for a further 5 minutes.
- When the rice is finished cooking, make the omelette. Place onion and dashi in a large frying pan and bring to the boil. Lower heat and simmer for a few minutes until the onion is soft. Add mirin and soy sauce, then chicken pieces.
- Continue to cook for 5 minutes until the onion and chicken are cooked well.
- Beat eggs in a bowl and pour into the frying pan. Put the lid on. Leave to cook for a few minutes until eggs are cooked to your liking.
- Fluff the rice mixing shiitake and carrot pieces well. Fill four serving bowls with rice. Top with omelette. Serve immediately, garnished with sesame seeds, coriander, nori and sweet chilli sauce.
Serve with Japanese style green salad and miso soup for a complete Japanese meal.