Best Chicken Soup
This chicken soup recipe will become a favourite, one you will roll out each winter. Packed with herbs, gorgeous veggies and deliciously thick and creamy, this chicken soup is healthy and filling.
- 50g butter
- 1 onion, diced
- 50g flour
- 1 litre chicken stock
- 1 large carrot, diced
- 100g mushrooms, sliced
- 2 small courgettes, thickly sliced
- 1 400g can creamed corn
- 2 Waitoa Free Range Chicken Breast, cut into chunks
- A handful of fresh thyme, oregano and sage, chopped
- A dash of cream
To Serve - Croutons
- 2 slices thick cut toast bread, cubed
- Olive oil to shallow fry
- Melt the butter in a large pot and sweat the onion until translucent but not brown.
- Make a roux by stirring in the flour and cook until lightly coloured. Let cool for several minutes.
- Gradually stir in the hot stock. Add the mushrooms, courgettes, carrots, creamed corn, diced chicken breast and mixed herbs.
- Bring to the boil then reduce the heat to simmer for about 30 minutes until vegetables are tender and chicken is cooked through.
- Stir in your desired amount of cream, season with cracked pepper and salt, add herbs as desired and serve with croutons.