Quick Apricot Chicken Casserole
Apricots go really well with chicken, adding a kind of sweet and sour flavour. This is one of my quick go-to dinners — it uses ingredients you usually have in the pantry and is quick and easy.
- 1 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 1 Waitoa Free Range Whole Chicken, cut into pieces
- 2 onions, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, chopped
- 3 tbsp tomato paste
- 1 tbsp sweet chilli chicken sauce
- 1 can chopped tomatoes
- 1 400g can apricot halved, drained
- 1 cup chicken stock
- 1 tsp fresh thyme, chopped
- Heat the oil in a large frying pan or saucepan and brown chicken pieces for 2-3 minutes on both sides until lightly browned. Set chicken aside.
- Drizzle a little more oil into the same pan and fry onion and garlic until soft, about 3-4 minutes.
- Add back the chicken, along with the tomato paste, sweet chilli sauce, herbs, tomatoes, apricots, water and stoand chicken stock. Roughly break up the apricots with a wooden spoon.
- Stir all ingredients together and partially cover with a lid.
- Simmer on medium heat for 15-20 minutes until the chicken is cooked through. Serve hot with rice, couscous or mash, and greens. Sprinkle fresh thyme on top.