Moroccan chicken soup
This tasty soup is filled with veggies, legumes and spices, making it a filling supper option for cooler evenings.
- 1 tbsp cooking oil
- 1 onion, finely diced
- 2 celery stalks, sliced on an angle
- 2 carrots, sliced thinly on an angle
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 tbsp ginger, grated
- 1 tsp turmeric
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1 tsp sweet paprika
- ½ tsp chilli flakes
- ½ packet vegetable soup mix
- 3L chicken stock
- ½ can chopped tomatoes
- 1 can chickpeas, drained and rinsed
- 1 Waitoa Free Range Hot Roast Chicken, meat shredded bones discarded
- 100g spinach
- ¼ cup fresh parsley, roughly chopped
- 1 lemon, zested and juiced
- 1/3 cup yogurt
- Green chili, chopped
- Heat a large pot to a medium/high heat. Drizzle oil into the pot. Add onion, celery and carrots into the pot. Cook for 5 minutes, tossing often. Add in the garlic, ginger, turmeric, cinnamon, sweet paprika and chili flakes. Continue to cook for 1 minute until fragrant.
- Add the soup mix, chicken stock and chopped tomatoes into the pot. Bring to the boil, then reduce heat to a simmer for 15 minutes.
- Add the shredded chicken, chickpeas, spinach, parsley and lemon juice to the pot and continue to simmer for 5 minutes.
- Serve with yogurt, croutons and green chili.