1. Cut the chicken into portions
2. In a deep container, stir together the sugar, salt, peppercorns, water and garlic cloves. Submerge the chicken pieces in the brine, and leave for a minimum of 12 hours.
3. Remove the chicken pieces from the brine and pat dry. Submerge the chicken pieces in buttermilk and leave for 3-4 hours.
4. In a roasting dish or a deep vessel, combine the flour and seasonings. Toss well to combine. Pull the chicken pieces from the buttermilk and dredge in the flour. Set aside for 5 minutes then dredge a second time in the seasoned flour.
5. Bring the oil to the heat in a deep fryer or deep saucepan. Fry the chicken for 5 to 10 minutes, or until cooked through and golden brown. Keep warm in the oven then serve immediately.