- Put all the ingredients except the honey in a saucepan over a low heat and mix well
- Simmer until reduced to 120ml
- Take off the heat and stir in the honey. Cool.
- Preheat the oven to 200oC
- Trim the chicken thighs so they are an even thickness
- Dust the chicken in flour, shaking off the excess
- Heat a little oil in an oven-proof sauté pan and cook the chicken skin side down over a low to medium heat until the skin is crisp, about 2-3 minutes
- Turn the chicken over and cook until the meat is lightly golden, about 30 seconds to 1 minute
- Transfer to the oven in the pan and cook the chicken for 3-4 minutes
- Drain off the oil and add the Teriyaki sauce
- Simmer, basting the chicken with the sauce
- Broil or charcoal grill the chicken until it has a smoky flavour then rest the chicken for 2-3 minutes to finish the cooking process
- Check the chicken is fully cooked
- Arrange the chicken on plates and pour over the reduced Teriyaki sauce
- Garnish with the eggplant puree, wasabi edamame beans and micro leaves. Sprinkle with the horopito and kawakawa powder.
Broiled (grilled) Asian Eggplant ‘Yaki-Nasu’ Puree:
- Put the dashi, soy sauce and hon-mirin into a saucepan
- Bring to the boil then take off the heat. Heat the grill and cook the eggplant on all sides until the skin is crispy and the insides are soft
- Remove from the heat and place in chilled water with ice while you peel them
- Place the eggplant flesh, dashi mixture and the ginger in a blender and blend until smooth.