Garden Herb Stuffed Family Roast Chicken with Lemon Gravy
This family roast chicken has a delicious garden herb stuffing. It will become a fabulous centerpiece for your Christmas dinner. Serve with all the favourite trimmings and the tangy lemon gravy.
- 1 Waitoa Free Range Family Roast, Garden Herbs
- 1 garlic head, skin on, halved
- 2 oranges, halved
- 1 lemon, halved
- A handful fresh sage
- A few sprigs fresh rosemary
- A drizzle avocado oil
For the lemon gravy:
- Roasting juices from the roasting tray
- 3 tbsp flour
- 1 chicken stock cube
- Salt and black pepper
- Preheat the oven to 190C. Grease a large oven tray. Remove chicken from the bags and place on the prepared tray. Add garlic, oranges, lemon and herbs around the chicken then generously drizzle with oil.
- Roast for 1 hour 15 minutes or until juices run clear when a skewer is inserted into the thighs. Transfer the chicken to a serving platter, cover with foil and set aside for 10 minutes to rest.
- While the chicken is resting, make the lemon gravy. Squeeze the citrus into the roasting juices, then discard the citrus skins, garlic, and herbs from the roasting tin. Place the roasting tray and its juices over a low heat on the stovetop.
- Add flour and chicken stock to the roasting tray, stirring vigorously to dissolve. Keep cooking until the gravy starts to thicken. Add extra cooking juices that have been released by the chicken while resting. Season to taste with salt and freshly ground pepper.
- Serve the roast chicken with lemon gravy and a watercress salad.